September 5th, 2019
Dear Parents and Guardians of Grade 9 and 12 students,
Grad Buddies is a long standing tradition here at WCI to help create a welcoming environment for all of our grade 9s that are transitioning to high school. It is a voluntary program in which small groups of grade 12s offer to be grad buddies for small groups of grade 9s.
Today at an assembly held at lunch with our grade 9s and 12s, I emphasized that this unique program:
- is only endorsed and sponsored by WCI during regular school hours from 8:00 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.
- must occur onsite to protect all individuals
- does not allow any students to drive each other (new insurance rules prohibits restricted drivers from driving)
- should focus on making connections with our grade 9s with minimal cost to our grade 12s (walk them to class, carry their books, write them an encouraging card, sit with them at lunch, etc)
- encourages all grade 9s and any grad buddies to attend the Grade 9 Party on Thursday September 12th from 7:00 – 10:00 pm
- provides a pizza lunch for all grade 9s and their grad buddies on Friday September 13th.
Students received permission forms that need to be signed and returned along with $10.00 to participate in this program.
If you have any questions or concerns about Grad Buddies, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Protopapas (student leadership teacher) or your child’s Vice-Principal.