July 6th, 2021
At the June 28 Board Meeting, eight secondary school students were awarded the 2020-21 Linda Fabi Bursary.
- Asha Adderley of Grand River Collegiate Institute
- Cody Bacher of Southwood Secondary School
- Tyler Benninger of Eastwood Collegiate Institute
- Thomas Borta of Grand River Collegiate Institute
- Maxim Clayton of Preston High School
- Joshua Dardarian of Jacob Hespeler Secondary School
- Keyan Johnson of Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute
- Jamie Stamp of Bluevale Collegiate Institute
Each year, students are selected to receive this award named in honour of Linda Fabi, former director of education of the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB).
“Congratulations to our eight recipients,” said Fabi at the June 28 meeting. “We know that we will always need expertise in the trades in our country and we are so pleased that you have chosen this direction in your career.”
Chairperson Joanne Weston, also a member of the adjudication committee, shared her congratulations with the recipients of this year’s award.
“The Board of Trustees is pleased to be able to offer this award to such deserving students,” said Weston. “They have all shown determination and perseverance in a year of unprecedented challenges. We wish them success in their schooling, apprenticeships and careers.”
The bursary provides funding for students who are planning to pursue a trade through college or apprenticeship. Students are nominated for the bursary by a teacher and the following characteristics are taken into consideration:
- The student’s key characteristics
- An example of how the student has demonstrated perseverance, or has overcome obstacles or made a remarkable comeback during their high school career
- A staff member’s recommendation
An adjudication committee consisting of Linda Fabi, former Director of Education, Chairperson Joanne Weston, Vice-Chair Scott Piatkowski, and Trustee Jayne Herring selected eight winning students.
About the Award
The Linda Fabi Bursary was established by the Board of Trustees in celebration and recognition of the many contributions and achievements of Linda Fabi during her tenure as Director of Education for the Waterloo Region District School Board. The total amount of the Bursary is up to $2,000, which is to be presented annually to students of the Waterloo Region District School Board. Depending on the number of applicants, this award can be divided so that a number of eligible applicants can be recognized.