Get ready for OSAP

Need help paying for college or university education?  Find out about changes to OSAP and how to apply.

Learn if you qualify for OSAP

Your child may benefit from financial assistance for postsecondary education from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).  As part of the most significant reform of student assistance in North America, the government of Ontario is removing the financial barriers of attending college or university.

If your family income is under $50,000, your child’s tuition is covered.  Even if you earn more, the new OSAP is still there to help with generous grants that will make sending your child to college or university more affordable.

Use the new online calculator to help students and their families find out quickly and easily whether they qualify for free tuition or other grants and supports from the province.  We encourage you to find at more at by using the link below.

How to Apply to OSAP

Students in special circumstances

If you’re a student with specific needs, you may be eligible for additional funds – from OSAP or other sources – to help pay for your postsecondary education.

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a mix of grants (don’t pay back) and loans (pay back) for students.  Through one OSAP application, you have access to this mix of different financial aid programs, depending on your circumstances.  You can get OSAP to attend any schools that are approved for OSAP.

Step 1: apply

To apply online, you need to:

  1. go to the application website
  2. log in or register for an OSAP Access Number (OAN) and password
  3. choose the right academic year
  4. choose the right application: full- or part-time student
  5. fill out the application
  6. submit the application online

Step 2: gather all supporting documents

  1. print your personalized forms such as your declaration and signature page (if needed) – sign and date it
  2. print the declaration and signature page for your parent(s) and/or spouse (if needed) – have them sign and date it
  3. if you’re a full-time student, print your lifetime student loan agreement (if needed) – then see Step 3
  4. gather any other supporting documents if needed (e.g., an affidavit)
  5. mail or deliver in-person the documents (except your lifetime student loan agreement) to your school’s financial aid office

You can ask OSAP to mail your declaration pages and lifetime student loan agreement (if needed) to you, but it’s faster to print them yourself.

Step 3: full-time students, mail the lifetime student loan agreement

The lifetime student loan agreement is called a Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA).This agreement is for full-time students only. If you haven’t already submitted this agreement you’ll need to print a copy, sign it, and submit it.