WCI Pre-AP Program
The “Pre-AP” academic programs offered at WCI in Grades 10 -11 (with the exception of Grade 11 Physics SPH3UW) are academic (2DI) or university (3UI) level courses that follow the Ontario Curriculum. Where possible, pace of learning/assessment and additional enrichment content is incorporated into the courses. This is to better prepare students for the Grade 12 AP Courses (and SPH3UW) when students will need to manage the incorporation of the AP Exam material into the Ontario Curriculum within one semester of learning. The Pre-AP program’s objectives are to ensure that students possess the skills and attributes necessary to succeed in the Grade 12 4UW courses (and SPH3UW), demonstrating their knowledge on the AP Exams.
Pre-AP Student Profile
- Enjoys a challenge and can manage the stress of an added workload
- Has a well-established work ethic and possesses the willingness to work hard
- Is enthusiastic, self-directed and capable of handling the accelerated pace of learning
- Demonstrates strong literacy and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Possesses resilience and self-advocacy skills
- Has a passion and curiosity for the subject of study
- Demonstrates an intellectual curiosity over a broad range of interests
- Demonstrates academic excellence in the chosen subject area (achieves over 85%)
Do You Need to take Pre-AP Courses to Enrol in AP Courses?
Although not a requirement, students wishing to take AP courses are encouraged to apply for Pre-AP courses. Students in the Pre-AP courses will work on specific skills, study strategies, test-taking strategies and content that will prepare them for the rigor of the senior AP Courses. However, it is possible for students who have not taken Pre-AP courses to apply for and gain entrance into a Pre-AP course.
It is strongly recommended that students really consider whether they want or need Pre-AP courses when they apply. It may not be possible to alter a student’s timetable later due to timetable restrictions, should the student change their mind.
Pre-AP Courses Offered at WCI
|Grade 10||Grade 11|
(AP Physics 1 Exam)
How Do I Enroll in Pre-AP Courses?
Enrolling in Pre-AP courses at WCI happens during the course selection timeframe (i.e. January/February) each year. To select Pre-AP courses: select the Pre-AP course in “MyWay” during course selections. Pre-AP course codes end in a “W” (i.e. ENG3UW – see chart above).
If you have any questions, please book an appointment with your Guidance Counsellor.