- 1Applying and Acceptance into Pre-AP Courses
- 1.12020-2021 Pre-AP and AP Application Process for Grades 10-12
- 1.1.12020-2021 WCI Gr. 10 Pre-AP APPLICATION FORM
- 1.1.22020-2021 WCI Gr. 11 Pre-AP APPLICATION FORM
- 1.1.32020-2021 WCI Gr. 12 AP APPLICATION FORM
- 1.2Pre-AP/AP Program and Application Process Slideshow
- 1.32020-2021 Grade 8 to 9 Pre-AP Application Process
- 2Do You Need to take Pre-AP Courses to Enrol in AP Courses?
- 3Pre-AP Student Profile
- 4Pre-AP Courses Offered at WCI
Applying and Acceptance into Pre-AP Courses
2020-2021 Pre-AP and AP Application Process for Grades 10-12
The Pre-AP & AP Google Application forms will be available from Monday, May 25th at 10:00AM to Thursday, May 28th at 11:59 PM. NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. THANK YOU.
Note: If students are applying to Pre-AP/AP courses in more than one grade, students are to fill out a form for EACH grade. Successful candidates will be notified via email by early-mid June. In order to complete their application, students will be required to enter the following information:
– March 13 reported marks for classes related to their Pre-AP application (e.g. Grade 9 Math mark IF applying to Grade 10 Pre-AP Math)
For Example: if applying for ENG4UW, the student would need this years’ ENG3UI/ENG3UW Mid-term & Final mark (if ENG3U was Semester 1) OR March 13 reported mark (if ENG3UI/ENG3UW is in Semester 2). This sample student would also need to provide their 2018-19 mark from ENG2DI/ENG2DW.
Pre-AP/AP Program and Application Process Slideshow
must be watched by students and parent(s)/guardian(s) as part of the application process. It clearly outlines our program, expectations, answers frequently asked questions and ensures that students and parents/guardians are aware of the process, timelines and responsibilities to the student and their family when applying to the Pre-AP/AP program. Note: there are significant updates due to COVID19 and this is our rationale for making the viewing of the slideshow a mandatory part of the application process. In a “normal” year this would have been part of an hour long assembly – we have done our best to condense it into a much shorter recording.
The Pre-AP Program at Waterloo Collegiate is a set of academic skills, strategies and content used to build rigorous curricula, prepare students for success in senior Advanced Placement courses, increase academic challenges, promote independent learning and expose students to assessment techniques useful for success at university. Pre-AP is not a prescribed curriculum but rather an enriched experience to enhance current curriculum standards.
2020-2021 Grade 8 to 9 Pre-AP Application Process
WCI offers Grade 9 Pre-AP courses in English, Math and Science. Students applying to Grade 9 Pre-AP courses are accepted based on the recommendation by the feeder school staff and WCI Faculty Committee. The students recommended by the Grade 8 feeder school must meet the Pre-AP Student Profile.
Pre-AP applications are a two-step process:
- Submit the online Pre-AP Application Google Form.
- Upload the student’s entire GRADE 7 REPORT CARD. Please submit a SINGLE PDF – multiple files will not be accepted. Use either an email scan to create a SINGLE PDF OR an app like Cam Scanner to create ONE pdf file.
- Please email your Grade 7 Report Card PDF to: email@example.com by January 16, 2020
- Please use the subject name: Last Name, First Name (School) – Pre-AP Grade 7 Report Card
- Please ensure your single PDF file is named as follows: Last Name, First Name (School) – Pre-AP Grade 7 Report Card
E.g. Crosby, Lauren (WCI Public School) – Pre-AP Grade 7 Report Card
Failure to upload your files in the above format could result in the application not being processed. The application deadline for equal consideration is Thursday, January 16, 2020.
Pre-AP decisions will be communicated directly to parent/guardian by e-mail by Tuesday, February 4th, 2020.
Acceptance of your offer of admission to Pre-AP MUST be received by Monday, February 10th, 2020.
Please note that Pre-AP course options are not available on MyWay. WCI Guidance will manually change course selections for successful Pre-AP applicants prior to June 26, 2020. Students are to select courses at the “Academic” level in MyWay during the course selection process.
Do You Need to take Pre-AP Courses to Enrol in AP Courses?
Although not a requirement, students wishing to take AP courses are encouraged to register for Pre-AP courses. Students in the Pre-AP courses will work on specific skills, study strategies, test taking strategies and content that will prepare them for the rigor of the senior AP Courses.
Pre-AP Student Profile
- Demonstrates academic excellence in the chosen subject area (achieves over 85%)
- Displays an excellent command of spoken and written language
- Has a well-established work ethic and the willingness to work hard
- Is enthusiastic, self-directed and capable of handling the accelerated pace of learning
- Enjoys being challenged
- Possesses curiosity about the subject of study
- Demonstrates an intellectual curiosity over a broad range of interests
- Enjoys involvement in the extracurricular life of the school and shows a willingness to assume leadership
Pre-AP Courses Offered at WCI
|Grade 9||Grade 10||Grade 11|