It is the policy of WCI to promote and encourage regular school attendance and punctuality for our students. Attendance and punctuality are essential to achieving success in school and workplace. It is the responsibility of students, parents and school staff to encourage good attendance.
- Any extended absence of 3 or more days must be overseen by an administrator
- Any absence of 15 or more days requires a formal report to be filed with the Social Worker assigned to each school by the WRDSB as well as an official follow-up by the Social Worker
- The recent “Learning to 18 Initiatives” as well as “Bill 52” have raised the legal school-leaving age to 18 years of age
- Report an absence before it happens: A parent or guardian must send a note or call the Main Office, 519-884-9590, giving a reason for and validating the absence
- Report an absence after it happens: A parent or guardian must send a note or call the Main Office, 519-884-9590, giving a reason for and validating the absence on or before the day the student returns to school. Notes should be brought to the Main Office immediately upon the return to school.
- Report an absence as it occurs: Students who need to leave school during the day because of an appointment or illness must sign out at the Main Office. If a student is under 18, a telephone call to the parent or guardian will be made to approve/validate the absence.
- Illness/Emergency: If illness or an emergency occurs off school property during the school day, immediately telephone the school to explain/validate the absence
- Sign In/ Sign Out: Students must sign-in and sign-out if they enter or leave school at times other than their regular schedule would dictate. Students must provide a valid reason for each sign-in/sign-out occurrence
The following are considered valid reasons for absence from school:
- Illness (3 or more consecutive days requires a medical certificate)
- Medical/Dental appointments (documented)
- School-sponsored activities
- Religious holidays
- Absences approved by an administrator
Absences for any other reason are invalid. If in doubt, consult an administrator.
NOTE: Any extended absence of 3 or more days must be overseen by an administrator. Any absence of 15 or more days requires a formal report to filed with the Social Worker assigned to each school by the WRDSB as well as an official follow-up by the Social Worker.
In advance, students may request permission to be absent for reasons other than illness. A parent or guardian should contact the Main Office at least two weeks prior to the absence. A Short-Term Withdrawal Form or alternate must be completed beforehand. This will help to ensure success and continuity of school program. Students are responsible for work missed during any such absence.
Students 18 and Over
Students 18 and over must submit an agreement note signed by parents/guardian and the student, acknowledging that the student has reached the age of 18 and further acknowledging that the student will now take full responsibility to sign him/herself out with their own notes. The acknowledgment will be kept on file in the Main Office. Teachers may request further documentation to substantiate any absences.
Students without a first period class will have the Homeroom designation SINAL or SINMZ. All information that is handed out in period 1 Homeroom will be available to Sign-In students in the Main Office (ie) Guidance Appointment slips, handouts, student announcements, etc. It is the responsibility of each student to check the Sign-In areaon a regular basis for any information that has been given to students in Homeroom. Failure to do so may result in students not getting important, school related news on things such as upcoming events, picture days, University/College submission deadlines, etc.
Period One: All students are expected to be in their first period classrooms before the bell rings at 8:15 am, if those students have first period class. Students without a first period class, should proceed to the cafeteria.
Students more than 10 minutes later for any period are to report to the Main Office for a late slip. Students who are repeatedly late for any class may be referred/sent to the Main Office to see their Vice Principal for an admit slip.